[COFF] [TUHS] man-page style

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Tue Nov 20 03:53:31 AEST 2018

    > From: Grant Taylor

    > Thank you for the reply

Sure; I love to yap about stuff like this.

    > I occasionally bump into some Multicians and am always pleasantly
    > surprised at how different their world is.

Yes, it's very unlike most of what's been done since. Some of it (e.g. a
strictly ordered set of rings for protection) was wrong, but there's a lot of
good stuff there yet to be mined.

    >> Which is a pity, because when done correctly (which it was - Intel
    >> hired Paul Karger to architect it)

Ooops, it was Roger Schell, I get them mixed up all the time. His oral
history, here:

   https://conservancy.umn.edu/handle/11299/133439

is a Must Read.

    >> it's just what you > need for a truly secure system (which Multics also
    >> had) - but that's another long message.

    > If you're ever feeling bored and would like to share that story.

OK, soon.

    > From: Bakul Shah

    > All of this would be easily possible on the Mill arch. if ever it gets
    > built. Mill has segments and protected function calls.

What I found about that mostly talked about the belt stuff. Do you happen to
have a pointer to the segment/call stuff?

    > set-uid has its own issues. Plan9 doesn't have it.

Ah, what were the issues (if you happen to know)?

    Noel