[COFF] [TUHS] RetroNet… Virtual is cheap.

Perry E. Metzger perry at piermont.com
Fri Sep 7 05:42:40 AEST 2018

On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 10:24:09 -0600 Grant Taylor via COFF
<coff at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> On 09/06/2018 09:41 AM, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> > Why not just dynamic update whenever the lease is renewed? If
> > nothing changes, no one will see any change. (I've run like that
> > for 15 years I think...)
>
> That does work from a client point of view.
>
>  From a DNS administrators point of view, it's likely to cause
> unnecessary updates to the zone and subsequent transfers to slave
> servers.  All of which is unnecessary.

I guess I've always viewed my time as being worth more. The data
being transferred is a few k, smaller than the size of one icon on my
desktop, I doubt the communications overhead is noticed in the
hailstorm of video going over the networks in question. Your Milage
May Differ.

Perry
Perry E. Metzger		perry at piermont.com