[COFF] In Memoriam: Edsger Dijkstra, and happy birthday Jon Postel!

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Aug 6 10:13:27 AEST 2019

We lost computer pioneer Edsger Dijkstra in 2002; he gave us ALGOL,
structured programming, semaphores, and ranted against the GOTO statement
(much to the distress of the Fortranites and their spaghetti coding). Oh,
and a certain Prof. Goto used to complain that everybody wanted to
eliminate him :-)

However, we gained Jon Postel in 1943; with umpteen RFCs to his name, he
could pretty much be described as the Father of the Internet (but note
that he edited most of the RFCs, not authored them, but deserves credit
all the same).

-- Dave