[COFF] Most Popular Programming Languages 1965 - 2019

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Dec 23 07:36:07 AEST 2019

On Sun, 22 Dec 2019, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> Define "popular" - what's actually in use, versus what people want to
> use. And job listings versus research. Both of those would lead to
> different results ;)

I've been keeping a list of all the languages that I've ever used since I
was a stripling; it's up to 48, and that's counting all assembly languages
as one etc.  That's about one language for every year that I've been a
programmer :-)

Yes, I try and teach myself a new language whenever possible; I'm
currently looking at Ruby as a lightweight replacement for Perl (I run
screaming from Python and its silly indentation), and Perl/Tk for a GUI
for some scripts that I wrote (mostly puzzle solvers).

-- Dave