[COFF] What languges would you like to learn?

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Thu Dec 26 03:31:01 AEST 2019

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 06:27:48PM -0500, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
> A recent thread makes me wonder which languages would people like to
> learn?  (I confess to trying, as Dave does, but time prevents
> anything more that learing syntax and writing toy programmes.  One
> must write something substantial -- not synonomous with large -- to
> really learn a language.)
>
> Erlang, Smalltalk, Prolog, Haskell, and Scheme come to mind...

I will swim upstream and say: if I had more free time, I would
probably want to finish reading "The AWK Programming Language" by Aho,
Kernighan snd Weinberger. The language is quite limited (as I have
written in another email of mine) but I think it is grossly
underappreciated and quite a few things can be squeezed out from it.

After that, I could find myself some decent Forth introduction and
finish reading that one, too.

But if you have not had experience with Scheme yet, try it out. LISPs
in general are worth learning, IMHO. And much more practical than what
a popular opinion says.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola