[COFF] What languges would you like to learn?

Bakul Shah bakul at bitblocks.com
Fri Dec 27 13:41:18 AEST 2019

I of course agree that C++ is quite complex but the point I
was jokingly making is this: if you just want to study a
language for the sake of studying, any language that interests
you is fine. Just do it; find out for yourself if it is worth
studying.  But if you want to write useful code in it, the
context matters.

If I want to contribute to a project using Java, I have to use
Java.  If I want to write a program where most of the
essential libraries are in C++, it may make more sense to use
C++ (or I have to use a language that has a decent FFI or
write all of the equivalent code in my language of choice). Or
only interface to other components via network protocols.  At
a prev. job I rewrote the C++ program I was supposed to fix in
Go mainly because of the last condition.

Another factor is this: if someone else is going to have to
continue maintaining your code once you move on, you'd better
use a language that is somewhat popular. A friend wrote all
his code in CL for a non-profit org but at some point he had
to give up control and the people who took over threw out all
his code and implemented something worse but using common
technologies. And I don't think my friend really saved any
time; he was just scratching an itch.

But no need to insult Lisp :-) CL is a fairly well thought out
language (and I say that as a fan of Scheme and not CL). What
matters is not design by committee but *who* is on the
committee!