[COFF] What languges would you like to learn?

Nemo Nusquam cym224 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 03:46:28 AEST 2019

On 12/25/19 12:31, Tomasz Rola wrote (in part):
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 06:27:48PM -0500, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
>> A recent thread makes me wonder which languages would people like to
>> learn?  (I confess to trying, as Dave does, but time prevents
>> anything more that learing syntax and writing toy programmes.  One
>> must write something substantial -- not synonomous with large -- to
>> really learn a language.)
>>
>> Erlang, Smalltalk, Prolog, Haskell, and Scheme come to mind...
> I will swim upstream and say: if I had more free time, I would
> probably want to finish reading "The AWK Programming Language" by Aho,
> Kernighan snd Weinberger.
A former colleague wrote an assembler in AWK.  We had a contract to
supply s/w for a chip still being developed.  The (binary -- no source)
assembler supplied by the customer was not only buggy and slow, it
core-dumped on reaching an unknown op-code and they changed op-codes on
every iteration!

[...]
> But if you have not had experience with Scheme yet, try it out. LISPs
> in general are worth learning, IMHO. And much more practical than what
> a popular opinion says.

Indeed -- I have played with Racket on and off (especially as it builds
on my Sparc box).

N.