[COFF] Most Popular Programming Languages 1965 - 2019

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Sat Dec 28 07:42:55 AEST 2019

Thomas Paulsen <thomas.paulsen at firemail.de> writes:

>> I work in Python for my day job.  Every day I use PyPi, the third-party
>> package repository, and every time I do I miss CPAN.  Sure, there was a
>> lot of crap in CPAN but the repository itself was well organized.
> I agree. The perl package system is very good.

The package system may have been good, but what I remember most clearly
from working with it is how the dependencies would always get in each
others' way.  "This package depends on version 0.0.3a of pl-foo, but
also on this other package, which in turn depends on version 0.0.3b of
pl-foo, and of course 0.0.3a and 0.0.3b have completely incompatible
APIs, so you're screwed."

That's probably the start of the path leading to Docker, right there.

-tih
--
cpan. cpanic. cpandemonium.