[COFF] Happy birthday, Michelangelo virus!

Arthur Krewat krewat at kilonet.net
Wed Mar 6 10:29:22 AEST 2019

I met up with that virus because a friend caught it from somewhere and I
looked into it for him. Luckily he had done what I told him to do and
that was to keep multiple backups. I was actually able to restore the
hard drive intact, as it only deleted the beginning 100 sectors (thanks
wikipedia).

I immediately told a bunch of people I knew, and Eric G Corley who I
also knew invited me to speak on his radio program "Off the Wall" on
WUSB-FM. I was unable to make it because of prior commitments.

 From there on, there were a few variants of the idea.

It taught me, and a lot of other people, not to boot from floppies that
were not supposed to be booted from.

I think shortly after that, I wrote a boot sector scanner that would
scan the floppies when they were first inserted.

art k.