[COFF] [TUHS] History of m6?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Nov 14 01:32:29 AEST 2019

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:06 AM Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:

> And not just the PDP-10.  I think just about every DEC computer had a version
> of TECO, right?

Very likely.   There were a lot of implementations, but it had grown in
size, that address space was an issue.   I do have memories of a simple
TECO for RT-11, but the EMACS macros did not load/could not run (I've
forgotten why).   VAX/VMS eventually had a TECO which best I can tell,
begat EDT, but that was after my time.

BTW: I remembered the name of the line editor for the PDP-10 I had learned
before I used TECO: SOS - Son of Stopgap (I want to say the name of the
IBM/TSS text editor was REDIT, but that's probably wrong).  I do remember
that going from the IBM system editor to SOS was very easy, the commands
were similar.  And, a flavor of SOS also ran on VAX/VMS before TECO or EDT
arrived.   As I had to relearn it, when we worked on the first VAX, since
SOS was the only editor.   But by that time, I had learned ed (1) and the
UNIX tools and had mostly migrated away from the PDP-10.  I remember being
annoyed because I wanted to use regular expressions on the VAX editor, and
had come to realize how much of the UNIX tool kit had become accustomed in
my workflow.

Clem

ᐧ