[COFF] TECO

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Nov 15 10:01:00 AEST 2019

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 7:40 AM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 12:47 AM Lars Brinkhoff <lars at nocrew.org> wrote:
>

>>   Richard F. Lary and Stan Rabinowitz made OS/8 TECO more compatible
>>
> Oh boy - there are two names from the past ;-)
>

>>   with other versions of TECO, and the result of this work is the
>>   version distributed by DECUS (catalog number 110450 is the
>>   manual). RT-11 TECO for the PDP-11 is a port of this code."
>>
> I sent a message to Richie and Jack Burness.   The last statement is a
> little worrisome, as 'porting' PDP-8 assembler to the PDP-11 was really not
> done in my experience.  Jack (Graphics) and Richie (OS) worked for the late
> Lorin Gale on the SW for the PDP-12 - which was based on the PDP-8 and then
> later rewrote a lot of things for Strecker's PDP-11.   But, my experience
> is it was always a rewrite/modeled after more than a 'port'.  FWIW: I
> also thought it was the late Kent Blackett that did much of the RT-11 work,
> but I'm not sure which is why I asked Jack and Richie who should remember.

I used TECO on a RSTS/e system in the early 80s, but it's visual mode and
'line noise' mode (the visual mode was akin to Emacs, but it wasn't emacs
as it had funky key bindings). Had a huge teco-11 manual printed that I
marked up. Was all in on TECO. Went to college. The TECO on the TOPS-20
machine was so different I hardly recognized it. Didn't matter, though,
since I fell in love with Emacs and rarely needed to type in raw TECO
commands to get things done....

I don't know if we ran the RT-11 TECO under RSTS/e system or not. The
installation had an odd mix of RT-11 and RSX-11 binaries and sources and it
was kinda hard to understand what was going on with the system as a mere
user that tried to PIP everything he could to the DECWRITER for later
study... I'm  kinda disappointed that it wasn't a Unix shop, but at the
time AT&T made it far too expensive for small mom&pop shops like the one I
worked in to run Unix commercially... :(

Warner