[COFF] In Memoriam: Jay W. Forrester, happy birthday Gene Amdahl, and LSD

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Nov 19 05:19:19 AEST 2019

I never said or tried to imply that it anything more than an architectural
description.  But I was saying S/360 was publically described before that
in the principles of operation by IBM.  At that point, you were fine to
clone it.

In fact, this is what put Ken O at Cal Data out of business a few years
later when he cloned the PDP-11 ISA (from the processor handbook
descriptions) and cloned the Unibus which had only been described in
schematics.   Thus Ken was careful later to only make bus repeaters/Caches
and the like at his new firm Able Computer (although he built, but I do not
believe he ever actually sold, a M68010 on a 22-bit QBUS at one point).

As it turns out, under those rules, its possible Amdahl might have been in
violation of IBM's IP, but again the difference was that the amount of
money he was taking from IBM was small, and IBM was (correctly worried)
about the Justice Dept.  I fact a few years later IBM was enjoined for
monopolistic practices (1969 and vacated without merit in 1980:
https://web.archive.org/web/20100408174629/http://www.hagley.lib.de.us/library/collections/manuscripts/findingaids/ibmantitrustpart2.ACC1980.htm
).

ᐧ