[COFF] [TUHS] Space Travel, was New: The Earliest UNIX Code

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Tue Oct 22 20:29:52 AEST 2019

[Redirecting to COFF]

On 2019-Oct-20 00:02:56 +0530, Abhinav Rajagopalan <abhinavrajagopalan at gmail.com> wrote:
>Forgive me for both hijacking this thread, and to address my amateurish
>gnawing concern, but how was it be possible to write differential/integral
>equations at an assembly/machine level at the time, especially in machines
>such as the PDP-7 and such which had IIRC just 16 instructions and operated
>on the basis of mere words, especially the floating point math being done.

My 1st edition Wilkes, Wheeler, Gill[1] documents that, by 1951, EDSAC[2]
had a floating-point library that supported addition, subtraction and
multiplication (no division) of numbers with 23-27 bits of precision and a
range of 1e-63 to 1e63.  EDSAC was much less powerful than a PDP-7.

Writing a floating-point library is not that difficult, though getting
the rounding correct for all the edge cases is tricky.  Actually using
floating-point and avoiding the pitfalls can be harder - see (eg)
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html (though
https://floating-point-gui.de/ may be more approachable).

[1] https://archive.org/details/programsforelect00wilk
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDSAC