[COFF] On having a slash

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Apr 13 19:01:13 AEST 2020

Way back then, when dinosaurs strode the earth and System/360 reigned
supreme, we were taught to slash our zeros and sevens (can't quite find
the glyphs for them right now) in order to distinguish them from Oscars
and Ones for the benefit of the keypunch girls (yes, really; I had the
hots for one of them at one time, but someone else took her) on those
green sheets.

In the time-mean I also saw a slash through "Z" (Zulu, Zed, Zee) in order
to distinguish it from a "2" (FIGURES TWO); WTF?  And you *never* slashed
your ones, lest thou ended up with the contents of an 029 chad-box over
thine head...

These days, I merely slash my sevens by habit and it doesn't even raise an
eyebrow; even Oz Pigeon Post's mail mangler seems to accept it[*].

What're other bods' experiences?

[*]
Don't even mention Redfern, OK?  Just don't...  And as for getting off at
Redfern, well, I did a few times when I had a contract job around there.

-- Dave, bored at home