[COFF] Knuth

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:13:19 AEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 12:06 PM Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/03/20 09:25, Clem Cole wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 2, 2020 at 10:22 PM Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org
> > <mailto:ats at offog.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Nemo Nusquam <cym224 at gmail.com <mailto:cym224 at gmail.com>> writes:
> >
> >     > It does seem like a keyboard, albeit with unusual extra keys
> around.
> >
> >     It's one of the Logitech gaming keyboards - a G19 or something like
> >     that. The extra keys can be programmed with macros.
> >

> https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Programmable-Gaming-Keyboard-Display/dp/B001NXDBI6
> >
> > Indeed, looks like a match.
>
> This begs the question: What is Knuth doing with a gaming keyboard? (Did
> he miss his Sail Buckey-bits?)

I'll bet the "gaming" aspect is immaterial to him and it's just a proxy for
"a high quality keyboard". For many years now, his stated life's goal has
been to "finish" TAOCP, which I imagine requires a _lot_ of typing on a
daily basis. It's no secret that most consumer keyboards are garbage, so I
imagine he opts for the higher-end models that are common among gamers
simply for the better ergonomics and usability.

This has personal resonance for me: I was having really serious problems
with RSI (it was sufficiently uncomfortable that it woke me up at night
sometimes) that are greatly attenuated since I invested in a Kinesis
keyboard and an Evoluent Vertical Mouse. It took about a week to feel
comfortable with the keyboard (and it's unique layout actually improved my
typing considerably, so that when I use a "normal" keyboard, such as on my
laptop, I'm both faster and make fewer mistakes). When I was in the US
Marine Corps, an infantryman once told me that a US$200 pair of boots
wasn't just an expensive pair of boots, but an investment in one's feet. I
view the HCI equipment of one's computer setup similarly: Excellent
displays, keyboards and mice are investments in one's ability to work
comfortably and productively.

        - Dan C.