[COFF] ARPAnet now 4 nodes

Rudi Blom rudi.j.blom at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:12:29 AEST 2020

I like a challenge although it wasn't really much of it. A simple arpa
imp in yahoo spilled the beans :-)

"The Interface Message Processor (IMP) was the packet switching node
used to interconnect participant networks to the ARPANET from the late
1960s to 1989. It was the first generation of gateways, which are
known today as routers.[1][2][3] An IMP was a ruggedized Honeywell
DDP-516 minicomputer with special-purpose interfaces and software.[4]
In later years the IMPs were made from the non-ruggedized Honeywell
316 which could handle two-thirds of the communication traffic at
approximately one-half the cost.[5] An IMP requires the connection to
a host computer via a special bit-serial interface, defined in BBN
Report 1822. The IMP software and the ARPA network communications
protocol running on the IMPs was discussed in RFC 1, the first of a
series of standardization documents published by the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interface_Message_Processor

Cheers,
uncle rubl