[COFF] How much Fortran?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Feb 3 13:47:29 AEST 2020

When I was in school the calling convention had been sorted, just barely.
You could call libc stuff from fortran but it didn't really work, the
types didn't match up.  But if you stuck to the basics, you could make
it work.

My Dad was a physics prof, theory guy, I coded some Fortran for him.
It was definitely _the_ language for the physics guys.  I'm close
friends with Bill Long at Cray, he's been on the Fortran steering
committee for decades.

It is still a thing.  Big in the physics world and it has evolved.
It's much better than it was.

How big was it 30 years ago?  In my opinion, tiny compared to C.

On Sun, Feb 02, 2020 at 08:38:43PM -0500, Arthur Krewat wrote:
> So, given the membership here, I wonder, does anyone have the inside scoop?
> How much Fortran was used ?
>
> https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/01/31/1837209/nasa-is-trying-to-save-voyager-2-after-a-power-glitch-shut-down-its-instruments

---