[COFF] How much Fortran?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue Feb 4 02:20:53 AEST 2020

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 11:06 AM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> But in the CS department and then later at Sun, everything I came
> in contact with was in C.  So in my world it wasn't a thing.

Mine either mind you, but ... like me, Sun sold a >>lot<< of high-end
systems to run Fortran codes.   Like Masscomp, both firms compiler groups
had to ensure that our Fortran compilers were not just F77, but VMS FORTRAN
compliant - because when UNIX hit the scene, VMS FORTRAN was the *Lingua
Franca* of the users (but just not us system folks).

I always like to know what is paying the bills 😎

> Modern Fortran is apparently a lot more pleasant than what I learned.

Without a doubt, but I'd still rather not program in it.😂  I just want to
make sure it works and runs really fast, so our customers want to use a
large number of our high-end chips and keep that robot in AZ that is
turning silicon into gold.