[COFF] How much Fortran?

Thomas Paulsen thomas.paulsen at firemail.de
Tue Feb 4 03:01:46 AEST 2020

>How big was it 30 years ago?  In my opinion, tiny compared to C.
 30 years ago OK, however history doesn't stop in 1990. When I visited University in the 70ths almost all academics used fortran, no matter if physics, mathematics, economics, or even social sciences. So I was forced to learn in fortran IV. Outside the academic biotope you had to learn cobol, because almost all development of business applications used this cruel language even in 1990. For me C was a redemption given me the chance to express myself.  I'm now retired and can do whatever I want to do. Hence I left behind c++, java, still using C beside golang and lots of shell scripting.