[COFF] Fwd: Old and Tradition was [TUHS] V9 shell

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Feb 13 04:12:21 AEST 2020

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:01 PM Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:

> What little Fortran background I have suggests that the difference
> might be mind set.  Fortran programmers are formally trained (at least I
> was, there was a whole semester devoted to this) in accumulated errors.
> You did a deep dive into how to code stuff so that the error was reduced
> each time instead of increased.  It has a lot to do with how floating
> point works, it's not exact like integers are.

Just a thought, but it might also be the training.   My Dad (a
mathematician and 'computer') passed a few years ago, I'd love to have
asked him.   But I suspect when he and his peeps were doing this with a
slide rule or at best an Friden mechanical adding machine, they were
acutely aware of how errors accumulated or not.  When they started to
convert their processes/techniques to Fortran in the early 1960s, I agree
with you that I think they were conscious of what they were doing.   I'm
not sure modern CS types are taught the same things as what might be taught
in a course being run by a pure scientist who cares in the same way folks
like our mothers and fathers did in the 1950s and 60s.