[COFF] Standing on the shoulders of giants, free or not

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Feb 19 12:41:59 AEST 2020

On Tue, 18 Feb 2020, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

> It's also why I like the GPL license, because it forces people to give
> the code back.  [...]

Which is one reason why I don't like the GPL; it compels me to do something
that for reasons of my own I may not wish to do (spread it like a virus).  The other reason is that
if I use any GPL code, my own work ends up under the GPL (like a virus) and
again I may not like that.

Here's the terms that I personally use; it's sort of a modified BSD
licence:

-----

               |Simplified BSD Licence (patent pending)|

Do what the hell you like with this stuff, but don't pretend that you
wrote it or remove this notice, OK?  Otherwise I *will* hunt you down
and deal with you (and I have done that before).

If you modify anything then have the guts to put your name to it so I
know who to blame and can deflect complaints accordingly, or email me
so I can incorporate your ideas (with due credit) in the next version
of this fine suite of software; fame could be yours :-)

Continued use of this software may or may not result in the agonising
death of all small furry animals within a 100ft radius, so use at own
risk; I cannot accept any responsibility for any animal-welfare group
kicking down the door in the middle of the night and dragging you off
to be vivisected with a rusty razor blade.

Copyright (C) 2018, David Ian Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU) dave at horsfall.org
Don't email me without first reading http:/www.horsfall.org/spam.html

-----

-- Dave