[COFF] Standing on the shoulders of giants, free or not

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Feb 19 16:11:29 AEST 2020

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020, 7:28 PM Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure why I'm arguing other than I feel this is so wrong and
> so disingenuous to those that came before.

I think the difference is whether you were in the club or not. If you were
inside and read in, there was a vibe that was very much like open source is
today. If you read the old Australian Unix User Group newsletters, you have
window into this time... but with a weird "papers please" to prove you were
in the club. People passed things around in many of the same ways. It was
cool and different than before. And people recall this fondly. Network
Unix, for example, dominated the ARPANET from 75 to 78... and it was pure
sharing... with a catch.

Now, if you weren't in the club, or recall a time when you were excluded,
you'd have a very different remembrance. The model was better than what
came before, but not yet to where it needed to be.

The Unix Wars, imho, shot that all to shit. It set the stage for the
revolutions that happened.

I disagree the GPL was all that. It didn't force people to really do the
right thing... I have had dozens of boards that run Linux but no source.
The manufacturer doesn't care or has gone out of business. People only
comply because they think it is in their best interest.  But they do it for
BSD too... and just because it is free doesn't make it good..  linux has a
dozen Wifi stacks...

It's no wonder people have divergent interpretations of how we got here.
What myth do you but into? That will determine if you look at things one
way or another...

Warner

But, you have to decide that having access to all your sources for your