[COFF] [TUHS] Who is the inventor of email?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Thu Feb 20 15:05:00 AEST 2020

[ Moved to COFF ]

On Wed, 19 Feb 2020, Richard Salz wrote:

> He's a loon.  Search for the techdirt.com articles.
>
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020, 7:07 PM Ed Carp <erc at pobox.com> wrote:
> >       I've noticed that some guy named Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is all over
> >       Twitter, claiming that he is the inventor of email. He doesn't
> >       look like he's nearly old enough. I thought it was Ray
> >       Tomlinson. Looks like he's trying to create some press for his
> >       Senate run.
> >
> >       Anyone older that me here that can either confirm or deny?
> >       Thanks!

Back when I was posting "On this day" events, I had this for Ray
Tomlinson for 23rd April:

     Ray Tomlinson, computer pioneer, was born on this day in 1941.  He is
     credited with inventing this weird thing called "email" on the
     ARPAnet, in particular the "@" sign to designate a remote host
     (although some jerk -- his name is not important -- is claiming that
     he was first).

-- Dave