[COFF] non-volatile main memory (NVMM)

David Barto david at kdbarto.org
Thu Feb 20 23:31:19 AEST 2020

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 3:54 AM, George Ross <gdmr at inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Core store, mutter, mutter.
>
> We used to regularly restart machines which had been turned off for a
> while, and they would happily pick up where they left off.  One PDP-8 was
> happy to resume after several years of idleness.
>
> Sorry, had to send that, mutter…

So a story about core memory.
I was working with a group and had just finished bring up of a new system. It was running the diagnostics when someone in shipping turned off the hardware. No disk so no risk of breaking something like that (ah those were the days). Anyway they pack the machine and deliver it to the customer (name lost to the mists of time) who gets it set up and then powered on.

It resumes the diagnostic. The customer was amazed that the machine would perform a diagnostic on power up. Though that was the most wonderful idea.

	David