[COFF] 52-pin D-Sub?

Lawrence Stewart stewart at serissa.com
Fri Feb 28 11:37:00 AEST 2020

Huh.  New to me too, but Digikey links to the datasheets, and they really do mean DB.
They go up to DD100.  They are called “double density”.

This reminds me of the circa 1990 “HIPPI” interface, or high performance parallel interface.  They typically ran at 50 MB/sec.  The connectors were two-row 100-pin D style.  See http://www.elpeus.com/scsi-cables/100pin-scsi-cable-hippi/3m-100pin-male-to-100pin-male-scsi-cable-hippi/ <http://www.elpeus.com/scsi-cables/100pin-scsi-cable-hippi/3m-100pin-male-to-100pin-male-scsi-cable-hippi/> for example.

We used these cables and connectors on the first Alpha machines at Digital to connect the 3Max front end processor to the ECL based Alpha Demonstration Units, although the protocol was different.  The connector was about the biggest that would fit on a TurboChannel I/O card.