[COFF] 52-pin D-Sub?

William Pechter pechter at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 09:22:58 AEST 2020

The John McNamara book still seems to be around.  Great reading.

I worked for DEC in Monmouth and Mercer counties and one night stole all the Vax 11/780 kits from DEC Holmdel.  Boy were they pissed.  However,  I had a critical outage at the FBI at Fort Monmouth with two hour response so I didn't drive an hour to my Princeton office. 8-)

I had Holmel's keys and alarm codes so I left them an IOU and headed to the site.  Holmdel was 15 minutes from the site but their techs were dedicated to telco only...  So their parts took a trip.

The DEC folks at the labs and AT&T sites were treated like royalty compared with us regular commercial business groups.  They had the best training... newest machines...  If they found a pdp8 or 11/23 and had repair issues - - they had us called.  We saw more wierd like the Vax 11/782 that couldn't back up because it was sold without enough memory in the main (or attached cpu) to run standalone backup.

I had to go in on Saturday to move a memory board between CPUs.  I think Field Service donated a board to RCA Semi finally.  That was a dumb machine design.

I spent years with a lot of computer companies and RS232 interfaces were easy as long as there was only one vendor.  If you see how Pr1me or Hewlett Packard dealt with the serial ports... I used to be the guy who at the most desperate would get Kermit over a 3 wire interface to allow data transfer between different systems.  Or UUCP on ms-dos...

Something about jack of all trades.

Bill

Sent from pechter at gmail.com