[COFF] The Muffer

Paul Ivanov pi at berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 2 08:02:38 AEST 2020

nemo nusquam, on 2020-07-01 17:42,  wrote:
>  The editor noted that their second name was heavily overused
>  and suggested a third name, which the engineers accepted.

Neat piece of trivia, but I'm broken in some way where upon
reading this, my brain demands I drop everything until I learn
what that second discarded name was. If, like me, your curiosity
was piqued: it was "high-speed buffer."

Here's the full quote from page 417 of IBM's 360 and Early 370
Systems By Emerson W. Pugh, Lyle R. Johnson, John H. Palmer:

  The local store, which had a standard capacity of 16 kilobytes,
  figured heavily in three Model 85 papers submitted to the /IBM
  Systems Journal/. Because /muffer/, Gibson's suggested term,
  had not taken root, the submitted papers designated the local
  store as a high-speed buffer, a name by then firmly embedded in
  instruction manuals for the Model 85. The papers were nearly
  ready for publication when the /Journal's/ editor contended
  that the name was too shopworn to do justice to innovation. His
  suggestion, /cache/, substituted with the consent of the
  authors, was soon adopted throughout the industry.

best,
pi
--
                   _