[COFF] [TUHS] 2bsd tarball -> pdtar, with a side of uuslave

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 06:01:05 AEST 2020

(Sent to COFF as too far afield for a subthread)

On 29/07/2020, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote (in part):
[...]
> There was another chapter to the "tar wars" after UNIX and after POSIX.

First, thank you for the chapter. #6-)

> I put the pdtar code into the public domain, so it could be widely used.
> This produced a variety of support headaches.  [...] This eventually led me to
> understand more of the value in using the GNU General Public License.

As everyone knows, a lot of Usenet source was released into the public
domain.  I have been told, time and again, by IP lawyers never to
release s/w unencumbered.  Without an appropriate encumbrance, the
author may be liable for any damage caused by said  s/w -- as insane
as that sounds.  (I was told that there is even case law but I cannot
remember what.)  So your support woes could have been worse.

N.