[COFF] UUCP on macOS / *BSD

Arrigo Triulzi arrigo at alchemistowl.org
Tue Jun 30 01:53:30 AEST 2020

On 29 Jun 2020, at 02:50, Grant Taylor via COFF <coff at minnie.tuhs.org> wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with UUCP on macOS or *BSD systems that would be willing to help me figure something out?

I run UUCP on OpenBSD for some very remote sites connected with satellite modems (using UUCP-over-IP, not pure UUCP, where the dial-up script initiates the UUCP exchange). UUCP was recently removed from the base OpenBSD distribution but is still available as a package.

I honestly cannot see it work on macOS because I cannot even remotely imagine Apple having any interest whatsoever in ensuring that it works with the various changes they made to “standard Unix” (launchd, sandboxing, read-only /, etc.).

Are you trying to configure dial-up UUCP or UUCP-over-IP with uucpd?

Arrigo