[COFF] UUCP on macOS / *BSD

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Tue Jun 30 12:26:33 AEST 2020

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 02:06:04PM -0600, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:
> On 6/29/20 11:20 AM, Clem Cole wrote:
> >I can try to pull some info from long ago paged out memory.

[...]
> I'm trying to ""dial out from macOS into Linux.
>
> Saying "trying" is somewhat of a misnomer as it is working perfectly
> when I run uucico as the _uucp user.
>
> The only apparent problem is related to users other than the _uucp
> user prompting the call.  I need to do some more investigating on
> this.
>
> I can initiate actions as my normal user; uucp, uuto, etc. and they
> properly queue actions.  They also spur a call, which fails.  If I
> subsequently spur a call as the _uucp user, things work perfectly
> fine.
[...]

So, assuming that I understood your problem
 - and given that I know close to nothing about uucp
 - and given that I know close to nothing about MacOS pecularities

I wonder if your problem could be solved by setting up a small crontab
entry for user _uucp, where a script would be called every minute and
check, if there is previous instance of it running and if there are
some jobs in the queue, and do the stuff when the answer were no and
yes, respectively.

Special user moving files over ssh, normal users putting files in the
queue.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola