[COFF] 21st Century Equivalent to 'learn'?

John P. Linderman jpl.jpl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 22:43:59 AEST 2020

Marc Rochkind used to recommend reading the entire UNIX manual each year.
That was good advice in the late 70's, but it would be hopelessly
impractical now, quite beyond the lack of a manual to read. There are just
too many commands and libraries. A valuable service would be to identify
the most useful tools. Those in the old manuals would be an interesting
starting point, but I can't remember when I last used "ar" command, which I
mostly used to pack multiple files into a single one to save inodes and
wasted file system space, neither of which matter any more. If there were a
corpus of contemporary shell scripts, identifying the most used commands
could be interesting. Perl's CPAN (comprehensive perl archive network)
could be a corpus of scripts from which the most commonly used system calls
could be extracted.