[COFF] The most surprising Unix programs

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Sat Mar 21 05:47:44 AEST 2020

On 3/20/20 1:43 PM, Grant Taylor via COFF wrote:
> What I think I'm hearing you say is that with RPN you were shouldering
> part of the computational load based on how you were entering things so
> that they aligned as necessary with the stack.  Conversely, you were
> simply "plug and chug" (as I've heard elsewhere).  Meaning you entered
> the equation / formula and were largely hands off from the calculation.

I can see how this could be translated to RPN could cause someone to
feel like they have a better understanding of what's being calculated.
Conversely, infix notation leaving someone feeling separated from the
calculation and having much less of an understanding of what's being
calculated.

This separation making it more likely that people will have problems
estimating and having any idea if what they're doing makes any sense or not.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die