[COFF] [TUHS] The most surprising Unix programs

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Sat Mar 21 12:55:22 AEST 2020

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 01:49:27PM +1100, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2020, Nemo Nusquam wrote:
>
> >Hhmm, back in my early days, the 12C was highly coveted by financial
> >types. Our mileage differed.
>
> I've never seen one (but I've heard of them).  Hmmm...  The blue "g" key
> rings a bell from somewhere.
>
> >By the way, HP will sell you an Android app'n that looks just like their
> >venerable (and much missed) calculators.
>
> Sell?  I downloaded "Free42" for the Mac for free :-)

An app will never give you that feelng of touching quality when you
pushed the keys.  Those were really well made tools.  I'm a tool guy,
I've got a full on wood working shop (with a ton of old and new hand
planes, the new guys are making some good stuff), pretty decent metal
working, Logan lathe, stick, mig, plasma, and a full on mechanic shop,
up to 3/4" impacts, I do tractors and big trucks.

I love tools and an app is not a replacement for putting your fingers
on an old HP calc.