[COFF] [TUHS] v7 K&R C

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Tue May 19 02:30:33 AEST 2020

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 12:12 PM Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com> wrote:

> 6x6-bit data would certainly hold BAUDOT data, and I thought the
> Univac/CDC machines supported a 6-bit character set?

BAUDOT is 5 bits.   CDC used a 6-bit Display code - which there were a
number of different versions.  It was a PITA when you programmed it.   The
original Pascal compiler was a mess because of this.

>   Does this live on in the Unisys 1100-series machines? I see some
> reference to FIELDATA online.

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/univac/fieldata.html

Yes, it was officially a 7-bit code, but the first 1/2 of the code was
non-printable.  So the printable set was 6 bits.

>  they're called 'char' because that was just the way things had always
> been.

Right

Clem