[COFF] [TUHS] The Elements Of Style: UNIX As Literature

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Sat Nov 7 01:53:59 AEST 2020

Moving to COFF.
below.

On Fri, Nov 6, 2020 at 10:40 AM Will Senn <will.senn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Clem,
>
> It figures. I should have known there was a reason for the shorter lines
> other than display. Conventions are sticky and there appears to be a
> generation gap. I use single spaces between sentences, but my ancestors
> used 2... who knows why? :).

You never use a real typewriter.  Double-space allows you to edit
(physically) the document if need be.   This was how I did everything
before I had easy computer access.

I went to college with an electric typewriter and all my papers were done
on it in the fall of my freshman year (until I got access to UNIX).  I did
have an CS account for the PDP-10 and they had the XGP, but using it for
something like your papers was somewhat frowned upon.    However, the UNIX
boxes we often bought 'daisy wheel' typewriters that had RS-232C
interfaces.  Using nroff, I could then do my papers and run it off in the
admin's desk at night.

Clem