[COFF] DEC terminal line driver chips?

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Thu Apr 29 23:17:27 AEST 2021

If you look at the schematics for the VT-100 (which are available on
bitsavers) as well as most terminals of the day used the
Motorola MC1488/1489 driver pairs [early on, TI marked them as 75488/75498
but I doubt you'll see that old].

Anyway, for any terminal of those times, I'd be surprised if the later
devices (like VTx20 series) did not them [the issue with these devices is
you need all of 5 and +/- 12 volts].   These terminals are new enough that
they might have used MAX232 (single 5 v power - there are even 3.3v
versions these days).  All of these devices are very available online.  I
would suggest putting high quality (*i.e.* auget style / machined pins)
sockets.  The nice thing about 1488/1489 is that they were doped to fuse
the output section on failure, so just replacing them will in fact
resurrect most serial port failures.  Frankly, I never understood why more
manufacturers did not put them in sockets for easy replacement.

That said before you open up the case, I make sure you are cabled
correctly.   If you are using so-called 3-wire cables, then you need to
ensure RTS/CTS [4-5] are strapped and DSR/DCD/DTR [6/8/20] are also
strapped.   The terminal will ignore any I/O unless it sees these pins
asserted.