[COFF] What is your prompt?

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Tue Dec 28 04:44:12 AEST 2021

Warner Losh wrote in
 <CANCZdfoP6bkJCMTD96p=iEH8YP9cq1vX9TfXDASu0egmPYGVfQ at mail.gmail.com>:
 |On Sun, Dec 26, 2021, 2:18 PM Theodore Ts'o <tytso at mit.edu> wrote:
 |> On Sun, Dec 26, 2021 at 12:43:37AM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>> I usually do "scp .* HOST:" whenever i get a HOST account, and
 |>> forget about it thereafter.
 |>
 |> I keep a private git repo on one of my machines, so when I get a HOST
 |> account, I run a comand like this:
 |>
 |> % git clone ssh://tytso@example.com/home/tytso/repos/dotfiles .
 |
 |I have symlinks to all my files. I also have special hooks that I run per
 |os and per host to pull in different configs when needed. Though in
 |recent years I've not needed it much. I used to do a lot for work like
 |this, but these days work envs are close to my home env, so there is little
 |point.
 |
 |I've been doing this since RCS days across 5 different SCMs... git makes
 |oopses so rare that the paranoia below seems overkill. Though for other

Oh yes, i could not agree more.  I never tried bitkeeper ;), but
even after eleven years of git (~/calendar (symlink) just told me

  12/24   Beschließe öffentliche Projekte mit GIT zu managen (2010)

) i often state "when have i told the last time that git is
magnificent?" when it rebases automatically over long history,
garbage-collects into one big pack (alongside those i want to
.keep unchanged), or selectively distributes branches here and
there.  Wording spread they furtherly improved the merge algorithm
just recently.

 |SCMs it would likely not be paranoid enough.

--steffen