[COFF] [TUHS] 68k prototypes & microcode

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Fri Feb 5 19:09:44 AEST 2021

On 2021-Feb-03 17:33:56 -0800, Larry McVoy <lm at mcvoy.com> wrote:
>The x86 stuff is about as far away from PDP-11 as you can get.  Required
>to know it, but so unpleasant.

Warts upon warts upon warts.  The complete opposite of orthogonal.

>I have to admit that I haven't looked at ARM assembler, the M1 is making
>me rethink that.  Anyone have an opinion on where ARM lies in the pleasant
>to unpleasant scale?

I haven't spent enough time with ARM assembler to form an opinion but
there are a number of interesting interviews with the designers on YT:
* A set of videos by Sophie Wilson (original designer) starting at
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhwwrSaHdh8
* A history of ARM by Dave Jaggar (redesigner) at
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6sh097Dk5k

If you don't want to pony up for a M1, there are a wide range of ARM
SBCs that you could experiment with.

--
Peter Jeremy