[COFF] [TUHS] AT&T 3B1 - Emulation available

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Fri Feb 5 18:53:01 AEST 2021

On 2021-Feb-03 09:58:37 -0500, Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>but the original released (distributed - MC68000) part was binned at 8 and
>10

There was also a 4MHz version.  I had one in my MEX68KECB but I'm not
sure if they were ever sold separately.  ISTR I got the impression
that it was a different (early) mask or microcode variant because some
of the interface timings weren't consistent with the 8/10 MHz versions
(something like one of the bus timings was a clock-cycle slower).

>as were the later versions with the updated paging microcode called the
>MC68010 a year later.   When the 68020 was released Moto got the speeds up
>to 16Mhz and later 20.  By the '040 I think they were running at 50MHz

I also really liked the M68k architecture.  Unfortunately, as with the
M6800, Motorola lost out to Intel's inferior excuse for an architecture.

Moving more off-topic, M68k got RISC-ified as the ColdFire MCF5206.
That seemed (to me) to combine the feel of the M68k with the
clock/power gains from RISC.  Unfortunately, it didn't take off.

--
Peter Jeremy