[COFF] Beards (was: Bearded Fellow, Ken Thompson)

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 20 11:17:56 AEST 2021

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> Early on I made a decision that no woman could make me shave my beard,
> and I stuck to it.  Not that the beard was more important, but if she
> wanted it gone, she was looking at the wrong things.

Indeed.  I used to have sideburns (remember those?) in the 70s, and my
mother commented that they grew longer and longer until they joined :-)

I had a beard when I met my now-ex (nothing to do with the beard, and
we're still friends) and she never complained.  I trim it every now and
then, but it will be a cold day in hell before I lose it; my father had a
full beard (and trimmed hair) until he passed away, so I can do nothing
less.

My hair though is a different matter; apart from when I was in Senior
Toastmasters (and had to look respectable) I just let it grow, and it's
currently past my shoulders (although I do trim it above the eyes, as
otherwise I get conjunctivitis).  I tried a ponytail, but it didn't suit
me as it made me look like a wanky hipster.

-- Dave, the old-age hippie