[COFF] 386BSD released

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Sat Jul 17 16:30:56 AEST 2021

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso at mit.edu> writes:

> [The] common language in the industry is [Open Source] it means
> "License which conforms to the Open Source Definition".  That's how
> it's been used since 1998[1].

I seem to remember, relatively shortly after that, a tendency on the net
to differentiate between "open source" and "Open Source".  Earlier in
this thread, I mentioned MINIX 1, from 1987.  That version of the OS was
open source, but not, by the later definition, Open Source.
(Prentice-Hall, being a publishing company, insisted on having the
copyright, but the source code was printed in the book, and you could
order it on floppies or tape for $80.)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay