[COFF] 386BSD released

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at hamartun.priv.no
Sat Jul 17 23:30:06 AEST 2021

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso at mit.edu> writes:

> Can you provide any references?  A quick Google Search doesn't turn up
> what you've described.

I was paraphrasing what Andy Tanenbaum says near the beginning of every
talk of his on MINIX 3 I've seen on Youtube.  But yeah, you're right:
while MINIX was open source, the C compiler was not, and was supplied in
binary form only.

> I can imagine marketing folks trying to confuse people by trying to
> claim that their product was something it was not --- such as from
> Prentice Hall, the publisher of the Minix book.

I can't imagine them using the term "open source", either.  :)

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay