[COFF] Powershell better than Bourne shell?

Andrew Warkentin andreww591 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 16:19:25 AEST 2021

(mistakenly sent this as a private message and not to the list)

On 11/18/21, Adam Thornton <athornton at gmail.com> wrote:
> It’s not an insane claim.
>
> PS is way wordier but it does deal with structured objects rather than just
> byte streams.
>
> I think of PS as being a closer match to VM/CMS Pipelines (but much less
> elegant).
>
> There are arguments to be made both ways.  I generally prefer the byte
> stream where the producer and consumer have to agree on the format, but,
> well, Unix is my homeland.
>
> I guess I argue that PS minus IPC is COBOL to Bourne Shell’s C.  Some
> people prefer it and de gustibus non est disputandum.

The biggest issue I have with PowerShell besides its verbosity is that
commands have to be implemented as plugins rather than as external
programs.

I'm thinking at some point I may write a Bourne-like shell with
object-oriented features for the OS that I'm working on. Instead of
requiring commands to be plugins to use the object-oriented features I
am thinking of having a generic facility for serialization and
deserialization with hooks to deal with the output format of different
commands (with JSON being an option as well).