[COFF] Self-hosting languages (was: Book Recommendation)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Wed Nov 24 10:38:53 AEST 2021

On Tuesday, 23 November 2021 at 10:23:47 -0500, Clem Cole wrote:
> Moving to COFF where this probably belongs because its less UNIX and more
> PL oriented.
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 3:00 AM Henry Bent <henry.r.bent at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What language were the PL/I compilers written in?
>>
> I don't know about anyone else, but the VAX PL/1 front-end was bought by
> DEC from Freiburghouse (??SP??) in Framingham, MA. It was written in PL/1
> on a Multics system.

I can easily believe that PL/I was written in PL/I.  While at Tandem,
I met Don Nelson, apparently an important member of the COBOL world.
He was, of course, responsible for our COBOL compiler (which, again
I'm told, had quite a good reputation).  Don told me that he had
written it entirely in COBOL.

Now that's a whole different level of difficulty.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php