[COFF] Alpine

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Wed Jul 13 17:36:37 AEST 2022

On 13 Jul 2022 09:34 +1000, from dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall):
>> If Wikipedia is to be believed, the MUA came later.
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Linux> "Initial release August 2005"
>> as compared to
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(email_client)> "Initial release December 20, 2007"
>
> Any fool can update Wikipedia (and they do).
>
> I give you PINE (Alpine's (predecessor):
>
>     https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(email_client)
>
> 1992...  I've been using it (then Alpine) since about then.

Sure; I used Pine in 1995-1996 or so, and then again around 2001-2002,
so yes, Pine clearly predates a Linux distribution with an initial
release in mid-2005. But your post was about _Alpine_, not _Pine_ (or
at least, I can't immediately find any "Pine Linux", whereas Alpine
Linux is rather well-known), so that's what I was responding to.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
 “Remember when, on the Internet, nobody cared that you were a dog?”