[COFF] [TUHS] Re: the wheel of reincarnation goes sideways

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 01:55:37 AEST 2023

On Tue, Aug 1, 2023 at 5:49 AM Michael Cardell Widerkrantz <mc at hack.org> wrote:
> Dan Cross <crossd at gmail.com>, 2023-07-05 17:48 (-0400):
> > I thought some folks here might find this interesting.  Someone else
> > today reminded me of tilde.town, which is a publicly accessible
> > machine running Linux.
>
> The tildes are a whole movement of public access *nix boxen. Here's a
> web page collecting a few of them:
>
>   https://tildeverse.org/
>
> They are a part of a larger Smol Internet movement: tildes, the Gopher
> revival, Gemini, et cetera.

Interesting. I don't really get the point of the Gopher revival, to be
honest; sure, I get that people want non-graphical, non-ad-laden
content, but it sure seems like you could get something like that with
the web just using a text-mode browser like `lynx` or even `links` and
something like `gomarkdown`. It's like the people who want to use
Fidonet as an "alternative" to email. I mean, one can use the same
protocols in parallel with the mainstream services.

        - Dan C.