[COFF] Bell Labs vs "East Coast" Management style of AT&T

Steve Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Aug 13 10:16:45 AEST 2023

Steve,

thanks for the wonderful account of history.
you were at the heart of it all, very kind of you to answer my Q.

You exactly described the problem at the divested AT&T:

	monopolists who didn’t understand ‘marketing’,
	especially not of commodity goods,
	where 90% gross margins kill sales volumes & profits.

===================

I know I've read a comment about BTL's CSRC being "collegiate" even "collaborative”.
Was that your experience?

In 1971, Jerry Weinberg published a book with “Egoless Programming”.
I wouldn’t phrase his concept that way, perhaps

	“Code Quality comes First”

not just “performant” but well designed, well coded, well documented and easily maintained.

I wrote & discarded two additional responses, included ‘below the fold’ if anyone wants to rip into them :)

cheers
steve

> On 5 Aug 2023, at 13:35, scj at yaccman.com wrote:
>
> OK, you asked for it...
>
> Let me first say that the management style in the Unix Research area was pragmatic and, in many ways, ideal:

> *  We were told that the work we were doing this year would probably take several years before it could be evaluated.
> This freed us to take 3 months on a project, and, even if the project itself failed it often inspired other people to "do it right”.
> The management structure was very static -- organizations would remain unchanged in mission for several years, with supportive managers up the line.

> For example, the year I wrote Yacc (probably one of my most productive years)
> I got a rather blah review from my manager (his exact words were "Why would anyone want to do that?").
> The next year I got a massive raise, and the year after my Boss and I made multiple trips to "sell" Unix to Bell Labs and AT&T organizations that could make use of it.”

> In the early 1980s, the V7 port of Unix, which I had been working on for two years, was out and successful.
> A new language, C++, was being developed and showed promise.

> The Portable C Compiler had been ported to dozens of different machines, and front ends for FORTRAN and other languages were becoming available.
> And AT&T decided to divest the "thriving" computer company to go out and change the world.

> I could see the technology development that was possible and had always enjoyed delivering useful things to people who needed them.
> So I offered to transfer to the Commercial arm as Department Head of a group of 30 people, growing over two years to nearly 60.

> My supervisors were a great bunch, and when I told them that, I was sure I could do the job.
> However, though, they needed to teach me what was most important and how to do it right.

> They were a little surprised by this, but soon we were technically in sync.
> The debugger was one piece of software that was a kluge, and we redefined the formats to handle multiple languages and delivered C, Fortran, Ada, and Pascal compilers.

> However, the business was being run by people who had only worked for a monopoly, and they did not understand the first thing about marketing.
> They didn't know what the languages were, who used them, and what they did, and, in particular, we had an urgent need for a FORTRAN optimizer (because DEC's was excellent).

> My marketing support was one two-hour meeting every other week.
> It was always the last person hired into the marketing group and frequently had not even heard of the languages we were delivering.
> So we would talk about what we were doing in places like Usenix and Universities.
> After four years, we had built all the promised languages except for the FORTRAN optimizer, which was written and working but was held up for documentation.

> [...]

===================

Source Code, especially when Portable, puts power in the hands of users/ consumers, taking it away from Vendors exploiting need:

        - Can be no "Vendor Lock-In", used extensively to 'mine' user bases for revenue.
                Economics has the notions of goods being excludable (owners/vendors control who uses a good)
                        and rivalrous (only one customer can consume the good, thus preventing others).
                Source Code is 'non-excludable' - if you've got all the code for something, an 'owner' can't stop you running it.
                Neither is it 'rivalrous' - my using the Code doesn't stop anyone else using it vs I eat an Apple, you can't eat it.

        - Users can't be coerced into 'upgrades' or 'orphaned' when products are dropped or a company goes away.
                Having the source means a vendor never has to say 'sorry'. maybe.

With the invention of Portable Systems and Apps, a whole new layer of the Computing Industry appeared:
        ISV's like Oracle (Indep Software Vendors)
        They got to exploit Customers (denying customers access to own data),
                while hardware vendors lost "use us or else" control.

I think I've identified three things that Doug Mcilroy's group did / knew, apart from his 4 part "Unix Philosophy"
        (of building reusable Tools - allowing not-as-bright ppl like me to "Stand on the Shoulders of Giants")