[COFF] [TUHS] Re: project athena (was Re: Setting up an X Development Environment for Mac OS)

Dan Cross crossd at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 01:33:22 AEST 2023

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 10:26 AM Warner Losh <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:

>> > https://web.mit.edu/Saltzer/www/publications/pcip-1985.pdf
>> > http://www.bitsavers.org/bits/MIT/pc-ip/
>>
>> Great, thanks!
>>
>> It's a bit sad to read in supdup.mss "Unfortunately, very few machines
>> have TCP/Supdup servers.  The only servers known to us are on Mit-MC and
>> Su-AI, and 4.2 Unix machines running a server we distribute."  At this
>> point, three old ITS machines had recently fallen over, one after the
>> other, and MC was the only one left standing.  But not long after, four
>> new ones would appear.  One of which is still up and running!
>
> I wonder if this was the same supdup that the early BSDs used to distribute their source in the 90s ..

I believe they are entirely different.

If I recall correctly (and it's been a while...) csup, CVSup, et al
were based on `sup`, which was a file distribution tool somewhat like
`rdist`, which came from CMU. csup/cvsup was optimized for moving
source code deltas (a la CVS repositories) around. I recall a
graphical client written in Modula-3?

The SUPDUP protocol used by ITS hosts was a "Display Protocol" based
on TELNET: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc734

I think the similarity in naming was just a coincidence.

        - Dan C.