[COFF] Music!

Lars Brinkhoff lars at nocrew.org
Sat Feb 11 05:13:15 AEST 2023

Paul Winalski wrote:
>> The MIT AI lab seemed to favor Beatles and Bach.
> That they did.  In the late '70s I was interning at IBM's Cambridge
> Scientific Center, which at that time was on the 4th floor of 545
> Technology Square in Cambridge MA.  We had about half the floor.  The
> other half was part of MIT's AI lab.  Our timesharing terminals were
> in a room with a rather thin wall with the AI lab on the other side.
> Someone in that room was debugging a music-playing program.  The test
> song was the Beatles' "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite".

Thanks for the story!  In the early 70s the music was mostly playing
from the old PDP-6 (the loudspeakers are visible in photos from inside
the lab).  However, it was always located on the 9th floor.  I wonder if
what you heard could have been from the Logo group, which was part of
the AI lab?  I understand they had a "music box" for children to play
with.