[COFF] Microware's OS-9 (was: [TUHS] Clever code)

G. Branden Robinson g.branden.robinson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 02:38:40 AEST 2023

At 2022-12-14T10:39:59-0500, Brad Spencer wrote:
> "G. Branden Robinson" <g.branden.robinson at gmail.com> writes:
> The source to OS-9/6809 would have been released by Microware a long
> time ago had it not been for a particular person in the user
> community.  Got mucked up.  I fell out of following it after the BSD
> Unixs became available.

They guy's name wasn't Mark Siegel, was it?

(Feel free to reply privately.)

> Level II was nice.  It was able to use bank switching and would allow
> a set of random 8k memory blocks out of the 128k or 512k present in
> the CC3 system to be mapped into the 6809 64k address space.  The
> Color Computer didn't support memory protection, so no paging or any
> real process protection, but this banking allowed for a lot of
> possibilities.  I know that there was other OS-9 systems around that
> ran Level II but I don't really know how they managed memory.  I would
> suspect it to be simular to the CC3, but that is just a guess on my
> part.

I ask because I asked around elsewhere, and this guy got very hostile
very fast, and touted the GIME chip as performing "address translation"
as if it were a Motorola 68451 or something.  (I'm not sure even _that_
does address translation in the sense we think of it today, but in any
case it was a more powerful, more complex and therefore expensive part
than Tandy was ever going to replicate or put in their Color Computers.)

Regards,
Branden